Programs » FACTS-Families Acting for Community Traffic Safety » It Can Wait Campaign
"It Can Wait" Campaign
Texting while driving is dangerous. Therefore, FCCLA stands with AT&T as they expand their "It Can Wait" campaign to discourage all drivers, but particularly young people, that no text message is worth the damages it can cause.
We recommend that teenagers and their parents take a pledge to drive safely and put the phone away while driving. By working as a family, we can spread the word about the risks of texting and driving.
FCCLA put together a panel of students from across the nation and developed three goals for the organization's work with the "It Can Wait" campaign over the next year:
1. Reach at least one million people with the “It Can Wait” message.
2. Increase the number of “It Can Wait” pledges by 125,000 by July 2013.
3. Conduct pre- and post-surveys with 7,500 students across the country to measure a change in knowledge and behavior.
You can be be part of this effort by planning events and projects in your school and community to help others understand the risks and change their behavior. Check out these resources to get started and opportunities for recognition. Make sure you plan a way for your chapter to get people to pledge not to text and drive on pledge day, Wednesday, September 19! Tell us what you're doing by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- "It Can Wait" Contest - A four-part project which allows any chapter to help FCCLA meet our goals.
- It Can Wait Contest: Honorable Mention – Have you participated in the It Can Wait campaign, but your project didn’t fit the contest requirements? We still want to recognize you! All those who conducted an It Can Wait project may complete this brief form to receive Honorable Mention in the It Can Wait Contest and be recognized on screen at a National Leadership Conference general session and on the FCCLA national website.
- FCCLA Survey 1 – Help FCCLA find out more about the knowledge, opinions, and practices of our communities by having students, faculty, parents, and community members complete this survey before you begin an "It Can Wait" project. A follow up survey will be available in the spring to help us measure change in knowledge, opinions, and practices due to your work in spreading awareness and providing information to your school and community. If you would like data on responses from your efforts, please email email@example.com and be sure to include your name, adviser’s name, FCCLA chapter, and city.
- FCCLA Survey 2 - Help FCCLA measure the change in knowledge, opinions, and practices of our communities by having students, faculty, parents, and community members complete this survey after you have finished an "It Can Wait" project in your school or community. This survey will be available until May 15. If you would like data on responses from your efforts, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and be sure to include your name, adviser's name, FCCLA chapter, and city. Be sure to enter the "It Can Wait" Contest by May 15 to win cash prizes and FCCLA recognition.
- "It Can Wait" Project Ideas - Need some inspiration to get started? Check out these project ideas from the "It Can Wait" Youth Panel members. Put your own spin on them or use your creativity to come up with more ideas that better fit your school or community.
- Get to Know the Issue - Check out the research from AT&T and the resources they've developed to help educate others.
- Activation Kit - AT&T has done a great job of developing ready-to-use documents, flyers, logos, and more so promoting the campaign is easy.
- "The Last Text" Documentary - this 10-minute video is a power tool to help others understand the severity of this issue.
- "Like" the Facebook Page
- http://go-att.us/zvg6 - Make sure your pledges count! This website is specific to FCCLA so we can keep track of the impact you make on this issue. Always use this address when you take the pledge or recruit others!
- Check back soon for classroom-focused and workshop-focused presentations and an adviser toolkit.
A special thanks to the "It Can Wait" Youth Panel members:
Miguel Astello, Texas
Gift Baanen, Georgia
Noah Brooks, Michigan
Jonathan Gonzalez, Texas
Marquis Johnson, Arkansas
Ruby Kaur, New Jersey
Dalton Noakes, Kansas
Elizabeth Pleiman, Ohio
Nyasha Soda, California
Joshua Vincent, Idaho
Do you have a question or suggestion about the "It Can Wait" Campaign? Email FCCLA at email@example.com.